My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.chrispommier.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Restaurant Recommendation: Tomasita’s in Santa Fe, NM

The Chile is Hot, The Marguerites are Strong

Tomasita's Restaurant at 500 S Guadalupe St. in Santa Fe is a Mecca for frequent travelers to the high desert, an icon for locals and a must-see for first-time visitors. Around dinner it is inevitably packed and would-be diners are forced to deal with a long wait. So if you can eat early or very late, you should.

Don’t forget the chile. Think on your choice carefully. Red or green? Vegetarian or regular? Chiles are everywhere in New Mexican cuisine. They eat them with everything, and perhaps at first, the fire will make you wonder why. You’ll surprise yourself by the end of the meal, though, as you’re shoveling spoonfuls into your mouth between gulps of water, sweating and happy. Order a liter of marguerites and share with friends. Rinse. Repeat.

Finally, an entire paragraph must be devoted to the flakiest, warmest, softest sopaipillas in all of America. If you don’t know what a sopaipilla is, you have not lived. Calling it “flat bread” or “fry bread” would only demean it. These are puffy, chewy patry-like clouds of dough. With a fresh squirt of honey on each bite of a piece of sopaipilla at Tomasita’s, the diner is treated to a sweet, fluffy taste of heaven. They make the perfect end to a hearty and authentic New Mexican meal.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can also get stuffed sopapiallas as a main course.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Blue said...

You're still making me homesick for New Mexico, Chris! Wasn't that a heck of a meal we had at Tomasitas? Guess I'll have to post those pics I took. And link to this write-up and the other one on the casitas. This weekend some time.
HI JONAH!!!!!
Hope you're both well!

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger M. Shahin said...

That sounds really good! I love Mexican food, and the hotter it is, the better I like it. I'll have to see if I can find sopapiallas where I live - yum :-)

bluegrrrrl (awesome blogger that she is) directed me this way, and I'm glad I stopped in. I wish you the best with your poetry :-)

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Chris & Jonah said...

Thanks for stopping by M! With all the hubbub at Bluey's place I noticed you mentioned you enjoy poetry. I'll hopefully be posting some of mine soon, so keep an eye out ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home