My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.chrispommier.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 27, 2006

I Survived My First Poetry Reading in Years

This past Sunday I participated in my first poetry reading since i lived in across the street from Dolores Park in San Francisco in th late '90s. I went a couple times to a bar around the corner on Valencia whose name I forget and would read for three minutes. I remember the cavernous space, the stage and microphone and the luiquid green and blue spot that turned the patrons, most of whom were drunk or nearly drunk into a dim mist. I especially remember the curator motioning the "cut! cut!" motion across her throat as I went over my time and I remember thinking, people really do that?

By contrast the PRISM reading this past weekend was held at a coffeehouse in one of the most beautiful buildings dedicated to the literary arts that I know, OpenBook. I could read for up to an hour. Now, I ask you, what kind of sadistic writer would subject her or his audience to a whole hour of their poetry? Not I. Considering the special sort of trauma that public speaking visits on my brain, I was not prepared to read for more than 20 minutes.

It turned out well I was told. My partner and several of my friends came. Besides them there were maybe 10 or 11 people. The other featured reader was poised and delivered a good reading. His poetry is well worth checking out. His name is Steve Mueske. Below there is a link to his website on the left-hide side of this page under the Poets & Authors heading. He reminded me that humor in poetry is a good thing.

I'm looking forward to the next two readings I have lined up. December 18th at Intermedia Arts in Uptown and January 24th at Intermedia Arts as well. I'll post specifics soon.

Do come.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Blue said...

Ah, I'm sure you were awesome! I haven't done a poetry reading for years...but I remember the jitters and the rush.

I truly wish I could be at the next one! I will be there in spirit!

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your reading sounds like it went great :)

You have two more in December and January, huh? Hmm . . .

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Chris! I too wish I could have been there; it sounds like you did great!

Did you know I recently framed two of your photos (one of pine trees against a grey sky and one of purple flowers, both of which you took when you and Jonah lived in Seattle, I believe). They are now hanging in my house.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Chris & Jonah said...

Thanks guys! I definitely appreciate the support. I'll imagine you all in the audience next time. Well, that may take more brain power than will be available as I try to juggle manuscript pages and microphone.

Jane, those pictures are more than likely taken by Jonah. He took some great pics while we lived in Seattle (and during our Canada trips) with his old Canon. We just bought a new one, though! A Canon A95. So expect more pictures on this blog and The Armchair Orchidist, too.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you let Jonah know I finally got around to framing them? Next time you visit, you'll see them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home