My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.chrispommier.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Writers + Business Sense = Money

I had an experience with a editor recently that really opened my eyes to how important it is for writers to be able to talk about money. Simply put: he offered to pay me $50 for a 650-700 word article. I said that was great, but could he possibly make it $75? When he didn't answer for a couple days, I was sure that I'd lost the job.

When he finally did answer, he said, let's start with 50. That was fine by me, after all I still had the job! So, I wrote the article, edited it, and made sure it was the best I could do. I turned it in right on schedule. He was so happy with the product and my professionalism, he sent me the $75 I asked for!

It may not seem like much, but it was a powerful lesson for me. A fearless attitude coupled with dependability and a well-written article can increase your bottom line.

Now, go forth and haggle!

This entry was posted as a response to a post at the Golden Pencil on a similar topic. And the blog Words on the Page wrote on this subject too.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrads!

That article was fantastic. I can't wait to read your next one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home