My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.chrispommier.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Opinion: Application of Humanitarian Law Not Enough to Address Global Violence

Over at Out of the Blue, a blog written by college instructor and my friend Bluegrrrrl, she posted an intriguing article titled "Militarism vs. humanitarian law" (on her blog, scroll down to Wednesday, November 29, 200 to read it). In it she discusses Mary Kaldor's book "Beyond Militarism, Arms Races, and Arms Control." Kaldor is professor and Director of the Centre for the Study of Global Governance at the London School of Economics and Political Science.

It's a great post and it really gave me something to think about. I've posted my response here. Just a few things to think about on this bitterly cold Minnesota Sunday.

The one thing I would add to this discussion is that there doesn't seem to be much of a focus on education and poverty in this. Perhaps because it deals primarily with militarism.

In her premise bluegrrrrl writes that Kaldor says, "contemporary warfare is driven primarily by conflicting political ideologies " and I would have to respond that this appears to be at once an overly narrow and overly broad premise. Narrow because it seems to discount issues of poverty, education (or lack thereof), tradition, language, history and religion. Broad because, if it is meant to include all those things, then it becomes unwieldy and leads to a (perhaps) simplistic conclusion that application of international law, by itself, would be a deterrent to war/ violence.

My problem stems from the question that, after all, if one is dealing with a group who is fundamentally opposed to the rule of (western) law, what could be gained from applying it?

To me it seems as though Kaldor is still advocating a top-down mode of "squeezing" or "attacking" her opponents. Replacing violence on the battlefield with violence in the courtroom. Or, at least, the possibility of it. After all, who controls "justice" ultimately?

So, for an addendum to her model, I would turn to what I conceive as a "grassroots" model that addresses the needs of the people, offering education and addressing poverty. Most of all, I would suggest doing away with the fiction that we live in a globally competitive environment that necessitates fighting over intellectual, cultural and natural resources. In many ways the U.S.'s message to the world is "Give us your best and brightest and we will give you McDonald's, KFC and Wal-Mart." This is the old smallpox blanket trick on a global scale.

I'm adding my vote to what spadoman, another commenter to this post and frequent Out of the Blue reader, wrote said in a comment, "look for the circumstances that caused the crime and try to stop it from happening again."

Don't get me wrong, I still think Kaldor's suggestion is preferable to Bush's non-answer answer to violence (More vioence! How stupid). She is supporting a narrative that makes room for answers to conflict that don't necessitate the killing of civilians or soldiers and I absolutely appreciate that.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Blue said...

Hey Chris, I just noticed your comment on my post, and then this post on your blog. I'm glad to see you're posting in response!

Actually, the broader part of Kaldor's argument does address more issues than what I wrote about in my entry. I focused just on the issue of militaristic response vs. application of humanitarian law because I find it to be an intriguing model for dealing with the type of warfare (and war crimes) in which we are currently engaged. I don't really see it as a punitive, "top-down" model. The full context of her argument focuses on human rights and preventative measures, which are essential to dealing with the full spectrum of conflicts, both domestic and international.

But the issue of how to respond to acts of aggression and crimes against humanity also needs to be addressed in a direct and productive manner. That was the primary focus I wanted to take...mostly because I want George Bush brought up on charges of crimes against humanity, and Kaldor's model applies very nicely in that regard.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Chris & Jonah said...

Hear, hear! I agree wholeheartedly with you. Little would make me happier than seeing Bush brought up on charges of crimes against humanity.

Thanks for clarifying Kaldor's larger point, as well. She seems like a very articulate and challenging thinker and I was pretty sure she wouldn't have missed the points I was making. But I have to say it was nice to be inspired by your post to think critically on the subject, and to put the concepts in my own words.

I think the more voices out there like Kaldor's, yours, mine and your readers, that are raised in support of treating the sources of violence, maybe the more likely it is we can change the course of this war and lower the likelihood of future wars. And, as you say, holding the current leaders accountable for the decisions they make should absolutely be an integral part of that process.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Blue said...

I'm glad you're furthering the discussion of these issues in such a substantial way!

I completely agree with your position on getting to the root of the problems...Basic human needs (hunger, education, poverty, etc.) are the precise reasons that many people are vulnerable to "terrorist" groups (however they might be defined) that wage war based on political ideologies (join up with us and we will protect you)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home