My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.chrispommier.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Three Things I learned in Belize, plus One


Here are some things they don't tell you in the guidebooks:
  1. The food in San Ignacio is phenomenal. No one really made much mention of food, generally saying that it wasn't much to write home about. But Jonah and I beg to differ. The stewed chicken, rice and beans at Hanna's in San Ignacio is right up there with the ruins at Xunantunich as one of my favorite experiences on this trip. Everything we had at Hanna's was just wonderful and cheap! Two people could eat top-notch grub for around $20 US or less. We also recommend Serendib for curry and Sri Lankan food and Cafe Sol for some vegan and vegetarian options.
  2. They don't believe in sidewalks in Belize. When walking around town, watch for cars! You'll get crowded onto the shoulder by speeding SUVs, Honda's Toyotas (which seemed to be the manufacturer of choice down there) and other various and sundry vehicles. Also, watch the hills. Gravel can send you tumbling.
  3. Toilets don't generally take toilet paper. There's usually a small waste paper basket near the toilet for your dirty TP. If you try and flush it might not go down. The what are you going to do?
Updated 1/19/07
  • I just remembered another one. Belizeans like running electricity into your shower. I noticed this my first night when I was in a dumpy hotel in downtown Belize City and reached up to turn the shower head. I thought I felt an electric shock bite my finger. Squinting up through the cascade of water over my eyes I saw a length of electrical cable in a plastic casing running the length of the wall from the ceiling and ending in a dual outlet box right behind the showerhead. I stepped back out of the falling water and noticed, to my amazement the frayed black tape holding the red, black and bare ground wires to white wires going into the showerhead itself. There were droplets of moisture dripping from them. I decided to end my shower. Turns out that's how most (of not all) showers in Belize operate. When you think about it, why have hot water available in a tropical climate, anyway? Most of my showers in Belize were cool, and I was happy for it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home